Concerned about damp and mould? Talk to us

Home improvements

What to do if you want to make some improvements to your home with us.

You must get written permission from us first before doing any improvement work to your property.

This includes the installation of:

  • Cable TV or satellite dishes
  • Pigeon lofts
  • Sheds
  • Garages
  • Garden fences and gates
  • Central heating systems
  • Laminate or wood flooring (if you have neighbours below we will not give you permission)
  • Showers
  • Cat flaps
  • Tumble dryer vents
  • Your gas or electric meter; and gas, electrical or plumbing installations

We want you to enjoy living in one of our homes - so we won't say no to home improvements unless we have a good reason. You'll be responsible for any future repairs to these improvements.

If you don't get our written permission, we may ask you to return the property to its original state – payable by you. We could ask for a court order to evict you if you refuse.

Home improvement FAQs

Do I need to ask you before making any home improvements?

Yes, you must get written permission from us first before doing any work. You can submit a request via your online account.

Will you pay me back if I pay for improvements then move out?

You may be entitled to compensation at the end of your tenancy, depending on the type of home improvements plus some other criteria. We'll pay any compensation at the end of your tenancy - after taking any money you owe us first.

Can I get help to adapt my home?

If you need aids or adaptations to your home because you're elderly or have a long-term disability, we'll do everything we can to ensure this happens.