About the Group
The role of the Reading Panel is to read and review documents from a customer's point of view. The Reading Panel check that the publications, documents, leaflets, and correspondence that we produce are clear and easy to understand. This can do be done from home and by either email or by post.
When reviewing documents as part of the Reading Panel, you will ask yourself the following:
- Is the main message clear?
- Is it easy to understand and jargon-free?
- Is it accurate and factually correct?
- Is it free of typos, spelling mistakes and grammatical errors?
- Is the document attractive?
- Are there things to learn for the future?
The Reading Panel checks draft documents are clear, correct and customer-focused.
What you'll be doing
- Review documents in a variety of forms on an ad hoc basis
- Places for People colleagues will send you documents in the required format, either by email or post
- Complete a Review Sheet where requested, detailing your feedback and any comments on the document that you have been asked to review
- Review documents and return your feedback by a set deadline to ensure a swift turnaround and approval or amendments highlighted as necessary
Member qualities and skills
- An eye for detail to spot any errors, and bring to our attention if something doesn’t read correctly or make sense
- Awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion issues and being able to consider this when reviewing documents
- The ability to feedback in a constructive, positive, and helpful manner
- The ability to see beyond their own experiences and review documents objectively from the point of view of the wider customer group
Training and support
All involved customers will be encouraged and supported to take advantage of the TPAS (Tenant Participation Advisory Service) training seminars, round table discussions and the wealth of information available to members.
We will also be able to provide support and advice from within the business if any training needs are identified.
All customers from across Affordable Housing are welcome to apply to be a member of the Reading Panel.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to join the Reading Panel if we are taking legal action against you or you are in a legal dispute with Places for People or any of the subsidiary companies within the Group.
You cannot join the Reading Panel if you are a member of staff living in one of our properties.
Fees and expenses
This role is a voluntary position, and you may be entitled to claim any reasonable out of pocket expenses related to your involvement activities in line with our Expenses Policy.
Membership will be reviewed on an annual basis.